Guides4Guides is a project of Outdoor Service Guides. The goal of this website is to share handbooks, ideas, planning tools, and other resources to help the leaders of Outdoor Service Guides be successful at scouting, leading, and managing a group. There are many aspects to running an OSG group well and not all of us have experienced everything. Some of us were scouts ourselves before we became leaders. Some of us have never scouted before but have good organizational skills. Some of us are totally new and just don’t know where to begin. Guides4Guides is here to help everyone scout give you the resources you need so your scouting group can have fun together and thrive.
What is OSG?
Outdoor Service Guides (OSG) is an inclusive, co-ed, outdoor, and service-focused scouting organization in the United States. The organization was founded in the early 2000s and has served as a safe space for all scouts to grow, learn, and be of service to their communities in the years since.
- We strive to be radically inclusive and have from the beginning. We want to bring the magic of scouting to everyone and make the game of scouting something everyone can enjoy.
- We are closely based on the original vision of scouting. This means we wear uniforms, go outside, teach kids outdoor skills, learn to be self-reliant and part of a team, and celebrate scouts for doing their best.
- We are run and managed by volunteers. We are a group of dedicated families working together to make great things happen for our families and communities. It’s all for the love of the game.
- We have a narrow focus: scout craft and service. We do these two things with passion and we do them extremely well.
- We are community-oriented and family-friendly. We have appropriate space for every member of a family who wants to scout.
- We empower youth, building confidence through outdoor skills and encouraging teamwork and leadership.
- We also foster a devotion to service where these skills are used to better our communities and develop a sense of belonging and citizenship in our communities.
Outdoor Service Guides is a member of the World Federation of Independent Scouts (WFIS). For more information, please visit: https://www.outdoorserviceguides.org
Are the Regions?
The National OSG organization is divided into five regions: North East, Midwest, West, South West, and South. Each region has a commissioner whose job is to help individual scout groups, ensure our leaders are appropriately background checked, and provide a conduit of communication and training between the National Commissioner and our members in the respective region.
The South Region is made up of groups spread out across eleven states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. The groups in these states are featured on our “Find a Group” page here, because of the work of South Region Leaders. It is our hope to eventually feature more groups on that page.
What is this website all about?
Our goal with this website is to build a resource to help scouts and potential scouts. There is a lot of great information about how to start a scout group, how to run a meeting, and even what to eat for dinner when on a camping trip. We’ll be adding information here on campsites we think are great, service projects, and upcoming training events or regional moots.
This is a work-in-progress and a product of our community. If you have an idea for something you would like to see included, want to write a blog post to share something your group has done, or have a question you want us to answer, please let us know. We are doing this with our Rover motto in mind: Service. How can we be of service to you?
What is all this BPSA stuff I keep seeing?
Outdoor Service Guides was formerly BPSA or Baden Powell Service Association. We made the decision to change our name in July of 2020 and confirmed the new name in 2021 after much deliberation. This site features some resources that were created before the name change. These resources still have great games, ideas, and activities, so we will continue to share them here.